• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Bluelight Crew
I know there are a number of people with Fibromyalgia on BL.....
I was hoping to have a place where dicussion about medication and different therapies take place.

I recently found out I have Fibro and have switched medication from Lyrica to Gabapentin and Zanaflex......

I started the gabapentin today and I am a little nervous about it.
I am at a low dose but I am hoping it will work.....
I was on Lyrica which was working but switched because of cost.

Are there any other Fibromyalgia people out there on this combination?
How does it work for you?
If not......what do you take and how do you feel it helps?
Does anyone use alternative therapies? Herbs? Acupuncture?
How do you handle the pain from day to day?

Last edited:
From my limited knowledge there's no diagnostic tests for it, it's more a diagnosis of exclusion. Hence if ur doc's particularly lazy or not the brightest may just hammer u with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia without considering other possibilities.

^There aren't ways of testing really-Other than the 18 pressure points........
that is why it is difficult to diagnose.

But we did exclude other possibilities- my mother has it- my grandmother had it.......
I have almost every symptom......I take a medication known for causing it.......it goes on.......
So I am positive I have it.........
That isn't what I am concerned about......
I'm wondering how others deal with it.....

I suspect that I have it, or some similar autoimmune condition. I suffer constant tiredness, sore neck, knees, back, and other areas, and generally identify with the disorder but have never been diagnosed due to bad doctors, lack of insurance, and other reasons.

Honestly, I manage the pain with opiates--poppy tea to be precise--though I know this is a risky move. Unfortunately it's all I can afford and have access to, so I make it work for me. I got tested for food allergies (delayed response) and found that I feel MUCH worse when I eat those foods and predicted that I was allergic to all but one of them before the test. Chiropractic adjustments are also good, or massage, or acupressure. Yoga keeps me loose and toned, but I only do it when I'm able to comfortably.

Getting quality sleep is a problem for me and for most people with fibro, so it would be great if there was a way to achieve it without taking something that makes me exhausted the next day. Studies show that, without plenty of deep sleep, a person's immune system can't heal the body which causes a constant state of pain and fatigue in the waking hours. This is a major contributing factor to most peoples' fibro, so you should look into it.

I guess treatment can be put into 2 categories: symptom management and treatments that target the CAUSE behind the disease. Medications, illegal drugs, and many alternative therapies treat the symptoms, but it's important to remember to treat the disease itself in the meantime. The first step is research, and lots of it. Join fibro forums, do Google searches, check out books at the library, and accumulate as much info as you can from as many sources as possible. You've taken an important step by asking our opinions on this site, now keep the momentum going by doing further research on things like symptoms, causes, treatments, and anything fibro related.

If you need any advice, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies.......... :)
I am starting to do alot more research- I have looked into forums but haven't joined any yet.
I also would like to look into alternative medicine- herbs and diet.......
Lyrica and then the gabapentin makes me super hungry and I've been gaining weight from it........
So I need to figure out something fast to give me a bit more energy and relieve some of the pain.
Alot of times on the days I force myself to go on a hike or work in my yard I am in bed for a few days afterwards, in pain......so maybe there will be more I can do nutrition wise to change that a bit.
Lady Codone-I only drink poppy tea when I am desperate because of how nauseous it makes me- and I REALLLLLY understand the importance of sleep :) I do sleep a bit deeper now with the muscle relaxers in combination with the gabapentin........
have you noticed a connection with your pain and stress?

Again- Thanks for the replies and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.